Tuesday, January 31, 2012

24 weeks

Baby's now the size of a grapefruit!


Baby cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but his body is filling out proportionally and he'll soon start to plump up. His brain is also growing quickly now, and his taste buds are continuing to develop. His lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once he hits the outside world. His skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.



24 weeks gave us a little scare.

Cody had been snowmobiling this past week and we were excited to have him home on Sunday night. They got back to Sioux Falls shortly after 6pm. Cody's snowmobile was in the back of the pickup and they were trying to get it onto the trailer....and he hurt his back. He called me on his way to Brandon and you could tell the pain was taking his breath away. Great, when I'm excited to have his help again with the kids, now he's worthless! He got to Brandon and was not able to hardly move. We all felt so bad. The kids were so excited to see him and he was in a lot of pain and unable to get down to play with them like he had wanted. I helped load up the car and we were headed back to Brewster.

On Sunday, my mom and I had gone into Sioux Falls to do a little shopping. Most of the day I had been complaining that my back was hurting. I chalked it up to being pregnant and just dealt with it. Later in the evening I kept telling my mom that my backache is starting to feel a little like the back labor I was having when the twins were born. I didn't know what the issue was.

I decided to drive back to Brewster and let Cody just rest in the passenger seat. We had gotten on the interstate and were busy chatting away, when I had to stop him mid-conversation. I mentioned that I am a little freaked out almost feel like I'm going into labor!  I don't know that I would have thought that much about it had I not been pregnant, but my increasing symptoms were kind of freaking me out. I mentioned possibly pulling off at Luverne and going to the Emergency Room. He thought if we were still this close to home, let's just turn around all together and head back to Sioux Falls. So I pulled off on the exit and headed back home. I had called my mom and told her we were coming back and I think I needed to go to the ER. Cody didn't think he would be able to come with me because of his back and thought it would be better if my mom took me in.

When we got back to Brandon, the kids were both sleeping in their car seats, so we unloaded them and put them straight to bed. Cody and my mom switched places and off we went. As we started driving, the pain was starting to intensify. My knuckles were turning white hanging on to the door handle and I was starting to panic. As we pulled off of the interstate, I had my mom pull over onto a side road because I was going to be sick. Now I'm really nervous.

As I walked into the ER, the lady at the front desk asked if I was in labor. I DIDN'T KNOW! I told her I'm only 24 weeks, but am having terrible back and lower abdomen pain. She got me upstairs to the OB unit right away. This was huge, because the waiting room was packed!  I was glad I was pregnant at this moment and didn't have to wait along with everyone else. As we were wheeling through the halls I was going to be sick again. Luckily we found a garbage can just in time!

Once upstairs, I was hooked up to monitors to check for any contractions and to look at baby's heartrate. They also checked my cervix. Everything on the baby's end was great, he was a rockstar!  He wasn't phased a bit and I was guaranteed I was not going into pre-term labor!

They were looking for something Renal, because my pain was primarily on my left side...possibly a urinary tract infection/bladder infection/kidney stones, etc. They placed a catheter to drain some urine for a sample and were going to look at it quickly. She also told me the doctor had ordered some Tylenol for my pain. TYLENOL!!  What the heck was Tylenol going to do for me?!?  Pretty sure I wouldn't be in the emergency room if Tylenol was going to cut the pain. She asked if I wanted something stronger and I didn't hesitate a bit!

The quick test came back showing a significant amount of blood in my urine, so the next step was to take me down for an ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder. Everything looked good. The tech didn't see any large stones or any swelling. The OB Dr. came to visit with me and said that just because the ultrasound didn't show any kidney stones, doesn't mean there weren't any there. She was pretty confident with my symptoms that's what was going on. She discussed the fact that there really isn't anything we could do, but to wait. She was going to send me home on some pain medication, what to watch for, and if I was ok the plan. I wasn't sure how I was going to deal with this pain, but if that's what the dr. felt most comfortable with, then that's what we were going to do.

As she was working on writing up discharge papers, I started throwing up again. When the doctor came back in and saw I was still getting sick, she had made the decision that she was going to keep me and admit me to the hospital. She said if I couldn't keep any pain meds down, then we couldn't control the pain, and that would be NO GOOD!  She was going to get me hooked up to an IV, start some fluids, and give me some anti-nausea medication as well as IV pain meds.

After about four hours I was up a regular room, and with the IV started, I began feeling much better. My mom stuck around until after they put my IV in (because we all know what a freak I am about needles) and then she went home around 12:30am to get some sleep. I didn't sleep well that night but was no longer in pain. I was feeling back to normal the next morning so they released me right away. We were out of there by 11:00 and off for some lunch. I haven't felt a bit of pain since, so they are thinking I must have passed the stone. I don't care what happened or how it happened, I'm just glad the pain is gone!  I compared this pain to that of being in labor. My doctor looked at me and agreed...she said kidney stones are probably the one thing that you could compare to labor pains...it was awful!


So there is my story (not so much in a nutshell) but a bit of an unexpected Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment